Skip to main content

HOW TO MAKE EVAPORATED AND SWEETENED, CONDENSED MILK

I found these recipes on pinterest via http://momprepares.com/how-to-make-evaporated-and-sweetened-condensed-milk/
Evaporated Milk Recipe 4 cups of milk  Small pot Pour the milk into the pot on the stove. Turn the stove to “low.” Keep the milk hot, but not boiling, until the milk has evaporated to half its size (about 2 1/2 hours). Stir milk every 10 minutes or so. You can remove the skin from the top of the milk, if you like. Homemade Sweetened, Condensed Milk  4 C milk  1 ½ C sugar, honey, or sweetener Mix sugar into milk, place on stove “low” heat, about 2 hours, stirring every 15 min until reduced by 1/2:
HOMEMADE EVAPORATED MILK

INGREDIENTS
  1. 4 cups of milk (will make 2 cups of evaporated milk- slightly more than the standard can size of 14 or 15 ounces) (I personally would use almond milk or lactose free milk depending on the recipe I needed it for)
  2. Small pot
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Pour the milk into the pot on the stove. Turn the stove to “low.”
  2. Keep the milk hot, but not boiling, until the milk has evaporated to half its size (it took me about 2 1/2 hours). Stir the milk every 10 minutes or so. You can remove the skin from the top of the milk, if you like.
  3. Allow the milk to cool to room temperature before using in a recipe.
NOTES
  1. Store the milk in the refrigerator for up to one week.

HOMEMADE SWEETENED, CONDENSED MILK
What is the difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk? Sugar!

INGREDIENTS
  1. 4 cups of milk (for 16 ounces of sweetened, condensed milk)
  2. Small pot
  3. 1 ½ cups of sugar, honey, or sweetener of your choice (I used raw sugar)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Mix the sugar into the milk, then place on the stove under “low” heat.
  2. Wait about 2 hours, stirring about every 15 minutes. After 2 hours, the milk should be about half the size it was before.
  3. When it is reduced by half, remove it from the stove and allow to cool before using in a recipe.
  4. Store the milk in the refrigerator for up to a week or can it for later use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick