Try this for Thanksgiving ...
Whole Grain Caramel-Apple Pecan Bars
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (Smart Balance)
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (0% Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup sugar or bake-able sugar substitute (Raw sugar)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (if substituting gluten-free flour add 1 tablespoon flax-meal to flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (kosher salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups sliced, dried apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans halves, chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce (make it or find it dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8- x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and Greek-style yogurt in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add eggs, and beat well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in a small mixing bowl; gradually add to creamed mixture, stirring well. Stir in apples.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Top with pecans. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of bars comes out clean. Let cool. Drizzle with caramel and cut into bars.