Gluten Free Homemade Matzoh Ball Soup
yield: serves 6
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 (1/2 cup) gluten free matzohs, ground fine (GF Matzo ball mix)
2 tablespoons seltzer water
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt (kosher salt)
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped parsley (plus more for garnish)
2 large organic, chicken breasts, bone in and skin on
salt and pepper (kosher salt)
1/2 leek, white part only, chopped fine
1 stalk celery, chopped into small cubes
1 cup cooked, gluten free noodles
instructions: for the chicken:
• preheat oven to 375*.
• wash and pat dry your chicken. place on a small, rimmed baking sheet. with your hands, rub olive oil over top of the breasts. sprinkle generously with Celtic sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
• bake for 30-40 minutes or until the juices run clear (run a knife into the side of the breast, if the liquid appears pink, it’s not done). let rest at room temp.
• when cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, discard (or save for another batch of stock). shred the chicken meat with a fork. set aside.
for the matzoh balls:
• in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. add the vegetable oil, seltzer water, salt, and parsley. mix well.
• break up the matzohs and place in the work bowl of a mini chopper. pulse until it resembles very fine bread crumbs.
• add the ground, gluten free matzoh crumbs to the wet mixture. mix well.
• cover with plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
• while the mixture rests, bring your stock to a boil.
• to form matzoh balls, using wet hands, roll dough into 1″ balls and drop in boiling stock. reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
• 15 minutes before matzoh balls finish cooking, add chopped vegetables to the pot. cover and continue to cook.
• in a soup bowl, add a few tablespoons of cooked noodles and the shredded chicken. ladle the soup, vegetables, and the matzoh balls into the prepared bowls. sprinkle with a bit of chopped parsley and enjoy!
See more at: http://www.theurbanbaker.com/homemade-gluten-free-matzoh-balls/#sthash.lJ9mpQ97.dpuf