Skip to main content

Gravlax with Mustard Sauce

Gravlax with Mustard Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

Gravlax with Mustard Sauce


Total Time:
48 hr 15 min
Prep:
15 min
Inactive:
48 hr
Yield:10 servings
Level:Intermediate


Ingredients

3 pounds fresh salmon, center cut
1 large bunch of dill, plus 1/4 cup chopped dill for serving
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar (Raw sugar)
2 tablespoons white peppercorns, crushed
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
Pumpernickel bread, for serving (GF bread closet this)
Mustard Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

Cut the salmon in half crosswise and place half the fish skin side down in a deep dish. Wash and shake dry the dill and place it on the fish. Combine the salt, sugar, crushed peppercorns, and fennel seeds in a small bowl and sprinkle it evenly over the piece of fish. Place the other half of salmon over the dill, skin side up. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Place a smaller pan on top of the foil and weight it with some heavy cans. Refrigerate the salmon for at least 2 and up to 3 days, turning it every 12 hours and basting it with the liquid that collects.

Lay each piece of salmon flat on a cutting board, remove the bunch of dill, and sprinkle the top with chopped dill. With a long thin slicing knife, slice the salmon in long thin slices as you would for smoked salmon. Serve with dark pumpernickel bread and mustard sauce. You can also serve with chopped red onion and capers, if desired.

Mustard Sauce:


1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon ground dry mustard

3 tablespoons sugar (Raw sugar)

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

1/3 cup olive oil

3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Combine the mustards, sugar, and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil and stir in the chopped dill. Serve with the gravlax.

Yield: 3/4 cup

Copyright 2006, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Advertisement
© 2015 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/gravlax-with-mustard-sauce-recipe.print.html?oc=linkback

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick