Skip to main content

KUKU PAKA (Kenyan chicken in coconut curry sauce)

Kuku Paka (Kenyan curried chicken)

Image Creative Commons by jeffreyw
5
Average: 4 (40 votes)
This simple dish, sometimes called kuku na nazi, is a fabulous coconut curry from the East African coast. It is a perfect illustration of how African, Arab and Indian influences meld in the coastal region.
4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

  • Chicken, cut into pieces -- 3 pounds
  • Onion, chopped -- 1
  • Hot chile peppers, chopped -- 2 or 3
  • Ginger, peeled and chopped -- 2 tablespoons
  • Garlic, chopped -- 2 tablespoons
  • Oil or ghee -- 1/4 cup (olive oil)
  • Curry powder -- 1 tablespoon
  • Cumin seeds -- 2 teaspoons
  • Chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce -- 2 cups
  • Coconut milk -- 2 cups, or 1 (15-ounce) can
  • Salt and pepper -- to taste
  • Cilantro, chopped -- 1/2 cup

METHOD

  1. Add the onion, chiles, ginger and garlic to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add a little water if necessary.
  2. Heat the oil or ghee in a large pot or wok over medium flame. Add the onion puree, curry powder and cumin and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cooked down.
  3. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the chicken, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Add more water as needed.
  4. Stir in the cilantro, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve with with rice or chapatti.

KUKU PAKA VARIATIONS

  • For authentic flavor, grill the chicken pieces before stirring them into the simmering sauce. If you like, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
  • Some recipes add potatoes or hard-boiled eggs to the curry. The potatoes can be cooked ahead, cut into chunks and stirred into the curry toward the end.
  • Eliminate the hot chiles for a milder dish. Or substitute a chopped sweet bell pepper.
  • Reserve some of the coconut cream that gathers at the top of the can and stir it into the sauce at the very end for extra silky results.
  • Recipe borrowed from: http://www.whats4eats.com/poultry/kuku-paka-recipe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick