Skip to main content

French Toast Roll-Ups

The Lil Chef tagged me in this post on Instagram and I think it's pretty neat especially if you have kids. The entire recipe is below.




French Toast Roll Ups
 
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
Easy to make and fun to eat, these delicious french toast roll ups are a creative breakfast treat for any day of the week!
Author: 
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (Smart Balance)
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (raw sugar)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¼ cup milk (non dairy or lactose free)
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (raw sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 8 slices soft white bread, crusts cut off (gluten free white bread)
  • 3 tablespoons butter, for saute pan (smart balance)
  • maple syrup, for serving
Instructions
  1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 3 tablespoons butter until just melted. With a fork, stir in 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon until a smooth spreadable mixture forms. Set aside.
  2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Set aside.
  3. In another small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set aside.
  4. After trimming the crusts from each slice of bread, roll one slice out to about ⅛-inch thickness with a rolling pin. Spread each slice with a thin layer of the butter mixture and roll up tightly. Repeat with remaining bread slices and butter mixture.
  5. Place 3 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick saute pan and let melt over medium heat. (If using a small saute pan, use just 2 tablespoons butter and saute the roll-ups in two batches) Dip one roll at a time in the egg mixture and place in the saute pan. Allow roll ups to saute for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside. Remove to a work surface and sprinkle each roll up generously with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
  6. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
*recipe inspired and adapted from The Chew

Recipe borrowed from: http://thebakermama.com/recipes/french-toast-roll-ups/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick