Skip to main content

Polish Boy for Dinner Last Night!

First, the history of The Polish Boy...

The Polish Boy is a sausage sandwich native to ClevelandOhio. It consists of a link of kielbasa placed in a bun, and covered with a layer of french fries, a layer of barbecue sauce or hot sauce, and a layer of coleslaw.[1] While the sausage is typically grilled, some establishments will quickly deep fry the sausage after grilling and prior to assembling the sandwich.[2]



This is a picture of what Polish Boys look like from the BBQ spot (I kind of do not know what else to call these places, that's what we call them.)
Looks SOOOOO GOOOD! I would give anything to have a real Polish Boy ... oh well :-(


I was born and raised in Cleveland, OH. Polish Boys are one of my all time favorite meals. Unfortunately after I got sick (food intolerance issues) I could no longer eat them. :'( 
It didn't dawn on me until 2013 that I could attempt to make my own at home without all the bad stuff (wheat, gluten, etc.) I started out making them without any breading, my knowledge of gluten free bread was limited and there weren't as many options as there are now (at least not where I was living, still in a suburb of Cleveland.)
Late 2013 I made a Polish Boy with a wrap and ta daaaaa! this was the closest I was going to get to what I once would "kill" for. Current day, there are bread choices (gluten free) more similar to what you're supposed to use but they cost an arm and a leg, so I still use wraps (better ones than I started off with)



This is my version of a Polish Boy.
(I have no idea what that blue thing is in the picture)



These are the Polish Boy essentials: Coleslaw, French Fries, Kielbasa, BBQ Sauce, (I'm missing the bun for obvious reasons) 




Marzetti's is the only slaw dressing I'll eat. It's simply the best! 

Making coleslaw is nothing, mix the Martezzi's with the coleslaw mix in the bag, and I love a ton of black pepper in/on my coleslaw. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 mins.

I "boiled" a piece of kielbasa until the water was gone out of the pan then I added oil and flash fried it until the skin charred and split, then I added Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.


Put it all together and ta da!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick