(I have never thought of using beets in a sweet dish/dessert, I imagine this will be interesting)
Lemon shortbread cookies are delicious enough on their own, but with a homemade glaze that’s naturally colored with red beets takes this cookie recipe up a few notches! And since beets are in-season, you can find them at your nearest farmer’s market to make these sweet treats at home. Have fun dipping the shortbread cookies in your homemade natural icing, and try using golden beets for even more color.
Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Beet Glaze
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance® Whipped Organic Buttery Spread, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cup flour (Gluten free flour)
- 4 medium beets (Try to find non GMO beets)
- ¼ cup Earth Balance® Soy Free Spread (or any other vegan spread)
- ½ cup water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Add Earth Balance® Whipped Organic Buttery Spread, powdered sugar, extracts and water to the bowl of a stand mixer, mixing until fully combined.
- Stir in flour by hand until fully combined.
- Shape dough into a disk and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take the chilled dough and roll it ¼–inch thick on a floured surface. Using cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place entire cookie sheet back in the fridge for 10 minutes before baking for 8-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse and scrub beets, cut into small chunks and drizzle with Earth Balance® Soy Free Olive Oil Spread. Cook for 30 minutes, and let cool.
- Once cooled, place beets and water in a food processor and puree.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, powdered sugar and ¼ cup of beet puree.
Recipe borrowed from: http://mjr.earthbalancenatural.com/lemon-shortbread-cookies-with-beet-glaze/