Skip to main content

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Fried Onion Rings


Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Fried Onion Rings

SERVES 4



Do you miss fried onion rings? Made with a gluten-free beer batter, these rings are crispy outside and tender inside, just like you remember. Indulge!
1 cup gluten-free flour blend of choice* (without
    xanthan gum), more for sprinkling (unfortunately I don't have any flour without xanthan gum)
1 teaspoon salt (kosher salt)
1 teaspoon pepper 
1 cup gluten-free beer (seltzer water)
1 medium onion
Oil of choice, for frying (preferably olive oil or sunflower)
1. Place 1 cup flour blend and salt and pepper in a bowl and combine. Stir in 1 cup beer until ingredients are well blended. If batter is too thin, add an additional tablespoon flour. If too thick, add an additional tablespoon beer.
2. Peel onion and cut off the ends. Slice onion into ¼-inch to ½-inch thick slices. Break apart the rings and sprinkle them with flour blend. 
3. Pour oil into a frying pan, just deep enough to cover rings. Heat oil to medium-high until a drop of beer batter sizzles when placed in pan.  
4. Dip floured onion rings into beer batter and fry in oil on medium heat until golden brown. Add more oil if needed between rings. (Wait for oil to get sizzling hot before frying.)
5. Place fried rings on paper towels to drain. Keep onion rings warm until all are fried. 
*TIP For best results, use a flour blend of equal parts garbanzo flour and fava bean flour.




Recipe by Madalene Rhyand, director of Living Without’s test kitchen.





Borrowed From: http://www.glutenfreeandmore.com/recipes/gluten_free_dairy_free_fried_onion_rings-2435-1.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick