Skip to main content

GLUTEN-FREE TEFF INJERA BREAD

GLUTEN-FREE TEFF INJERA BREAD


Injera is an Ethiopian bread recipe. It’s custom to spoon food on top of a plate that’s lined with an injera, then use the bread to scoop up your food. This recipe is free of wheat and uses the traditional injera grain, teff. The recipe takes some advance planning as you need to soak the flour, but then it cooks up quickly and would be delicious with any of Sadia’s sauces or to eat with veggie or meat dishes. Soaking grains also make them easier to digest and more nutritious.
Ingredients
1½ cups teff flour (either ivory or brown)
2 cups water
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt (Kosher salt)
Oil for pan (coconut oil) (olive oil)
1. Stir together teff flour and water in a glass bowl or big glass jar. Cover with muslin or a thin kitchen towel.
2. Let the batter sit for about 24 hours or so in a moderately warm place (about 70-80 °F… can be perfect to put inside the oven with just the oven light on, but on the counter should also be fine).
3. Check the mixture for a risen, cracked, or bubbly surface which will tell you that your batter is ready.
4. Heat a frying pan to medium heat and lightly coat with oil. Stir the salt and baking powder into the batter and pour the batter into the pan until the entire surface is evenly covered, about ¼” thick. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Don’t flip the injera. You’ll know it’s done when bubbles appear on the top, the top begins to dry, and the edges begin to slightly brown and come away from the pan.
5. Slide the injera out of the pan with a spatula and place on a plate to cool. Repeat until you run out of batter. You can stack the injera with parchment paper in between. Eat it all right away with sauce, bean dishes, or even for sandwiches or store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Keeps for 2-3 days, but you’ll probably eat it all before that.

Tried one of Sadia’s recipes and have feedback? Have more recipe ideas? Contact us from our contact page. We’d love to hear from you!
Borrowed From: sadiassauce.com/gluten-free-teff-injera-bread/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick