Skip to main content

Homemade GF "Cheddar Bay Biscuits"

I made "Cheddar Bay Biscuits" for the first time. I have wanted to make these forever! I used a combination of two recipes (the links are down below), I'll show what I combined:

AT A GLANCE

PREP
15 mins. to 20 mins.
BAKE
15 mins. to 20 mins.
TOTAL
30 mins. to 40 mins.
YIELD
10 biscuits
RECIPE #1

  • 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour I used this
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder I used this
  • 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt I used this - kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives  I used this
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 large eggs I used this
  • 1/2 cup cold milk

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or leave it bare; no need to grease it.
  2. Blend together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
  3. Work the cold butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
  4. Stir in the chives, sun-dried tomatoes, and cheese.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
  6. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until a cohesive dough forms; it'll be sticky.
  7. Using a muffin scoop or large spoon, scoop the dough in 1/4-cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheet; you should have 10 mounds of dough. Press them down gently to flatten slightly. Allow the biscuits to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
  8. Bake the biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm, or at room temperature. Store at room temperature for several days; freeze, well-wrapped, for longer storage.
  9. Yield: 10 biscuits.

RECIPE #2
Copycat 'Cheddar Bay Biscuits' {gluten free, vegan}

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
This is my copycat recipe for the classic Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster. Mine are gluten-free and vegan, using the Bisquick Gluten Free mix.
Author: 
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Cuisine: Biscuits
Serves: 6 biscuits
Ingredients
  • ⅔ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk I used this
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice I used this
  • 1 cup Bisquick Gluten Free
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder I used this - I actually used garlic salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegan margarine I used this - Smart Balance
  • ½ cup Daiya cheddar shreds I used this
  • 3 tablespoons vegan margarine I used this - Smart Balance
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder I used this - I actually used garlic salt
  • ½ teaspoon dried parsley I used this 
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with non-stick spray.
  2. Combine non-dairy milk and lemon juice in a measuring cup or small bowl.
  3. Place Bisquick Gluten Free mix and first amount of garlic powder into a medium bowl. Add first amount of vegan margarine to the bowl and cut into the flour until only a few small pea-sized pieces remain.
  4. Add Daiya cheddar shreds.
  5. Add in the non-dairy milk mixture a bit at a time, stirring to combine.
  6. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls into six equal portions on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops with olive oil cooking spray, to help brown.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned.
  8. Meanwhile, microwave the second amount of vegan margarine in a small bowl. Add second amount of garlic powder and dried parsley. Brush tops of biscuits with the melted garlic butter mixture.
  9. Serve warm.
After I used the combination of ingredients, I used the instructions for the King Arthur recipe.

Also, The Lil Chef and I tried experimenting with mixing SnapChat and Instagram with the progress of the biscuits and it did not turn out quite how I wanted it to.... not sure if we'll do that again.   




















http://thesethingsilove.com/2014/03/copycat-cheddar-bay-biscuits-gluten-free-vegan/
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-sun-dried-tomato-cheddar-chive-biscuits-recipe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick