Skip to main content

VEGAN RICE PAPER BACON STRIPS

I am very interested in trying this! I do like Bacon but more recently I haven't been feeling too well when I eat it. If this works I will definitely switch! 

Vegan Rice Paper Bacon Strips Recipe - looks real. Tastes real. 100% plant based. | {gluten, nut & refined sugar free, soy free option} veganchickpea.com

Looks real. Tastes real. 100% plant based. Try this as a substitute the next time you cook bacon!
25 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
Ingredients
  • 8 rice paper wrappers
  • 2 Tbsp oil - coconut or olive oil
  • 3.5 Tbsp organic tamari - for soy free use coconut aminos
  • 4.5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
  • .5 tsp liquid smoke
  • .5 Tbsp maple syrup (this only gives a slight sweetness to round out the flavors, but you can feel free to omit or reduce it)
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp paprika
  • OPTIONAL: balsamic vinegar, for marbling effect if desired (I would love the marbling but I do not like Balsamic Vinegar. I think I'll try it at least once though)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Whisk together all ingredients except rice paper (and optional balsamic) until well combined.
  3. Fill a wide bowl partway with water.
  4. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. (If using foil, brush with a little coconut oil to grease it.)
  5. Using clean scissors, take 2 sheets of rice paper (one on top of the other) and cut the rice paper into thick strips.
  6. Take two strips of the same size and stack them. Holding them together, dip them very quickly into the water. They should stick together. Gently squeeze excess water from the joined pair of rice paper strips.
  7. Dip the strip into the marinade and coat it well; place it onto the baking sheet.
  8. Repeat until done. (Note: You may need to stop to whisk the marinade again to re-emulsify it.)
  9. OPTIONAL: you can twist some pieces of the rice paper to give them more of an authentic look, but keep in mind that those parts will be less crispy and more soft and chewy, akin to less cooked bacon.
  10. OPTIONAL: Pour a little balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Use a brush to dab a very light amount of the balsamic down the strips or just onto random places on the strips.
  11. Bake for about 7 to 9 minutes, or until crisp. Rotate the tray halfway through. The strips can burn easily, so keep an eye on it and take them out as soon as they're done. The end result will be mostly crispy with some slightly chewy parts.
  12. Once fully cooled, store leftover rice paper bacon in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, nut free, refined sugar free, soy free option | Recipe Type: breakfast, brunch, meatless, meat substitute, mock meats
Notes
Slightly adapted from Veganer and Yup It's Vegan












Recipe Borrowed From: http://veganchickpea.com/vegan-rice-paper-bacon-strips/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick