Skip to main content

Pancake Struggle!

Pancakes are the one thing I have had the hardest time with since having to change my diet and eat allergy free! It has been a constant struggle for me for about 7 years. The Lil Chef, on the other hand, has found tons of pancakes that she likes.
I'm going to attempt this again this morning, of course with a combination of things. I hardly ever use just one mixture, it never really turns out right or the way I would like them.
Fingers crossed. Let's see how this turns out.
I'm using the last little pinch of my King Arthur's GF pancake mix, King Arthur's multi - purpose flour mix and the recipe from an old Trader Joe's GF flour bag I've had for a couple of years. Too bad I can't find it anymore at Trader Joe's. 
(I'm going to type out the original recipe and show you my revisions below)


 Trader Joe's GF Pancakes
1 2/3 cups gluten-free flour (I mixed the last little bit of King Arthur's pancake mix and the multi-purpose flour mix)
3 tsp maple sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 tsp baking powder (GF)
1/4 tsp salt (I used a pinch of kosher salt)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup water (I used Kangen water, you definitely do not have to do that. Make sure the water is clean and, filtered, if possible) I used 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk and mixed the eggs in.
1/4 cup canola or grapeseed oil, plus 2 tbsp for frying (I used grapeseed in the mix and Smart Balance to fry mine on the griddle.) 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I didn't measure, just poured a little)

In a medium sized bowl, combine gluten-free flour, maple sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, water, 1/4 cup of oil and vanilla extract and mix gently into flour mixture just to combine. Heat two remaining tbsp of oil in a skillet. Spoon two tbsp of batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook until tiny bubbles start to form and the edges appear to be lightly browned. Flip and continue cooking until both sides are lightly browned.




I have to say these came out pretty good!!!! I can tolerate these! Like, more than tolerate them; I'm going to have to continue to make this version. The only issue is that I hope it turns out the same the next time without the smidgen of pancake mix. Another issue is that they are really flat so I'm going to try to put more on the griddle and see if I can get them any thicker, if not, ok. We have enough batter leftover to last a couple of more days and The Lil Chef is REALLY excited about that! I just had an idea, I think I'm going to put some blueberries in the rest of the batter! We'll see! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick