Skip to main content

Homemade Mayo: Traditional and Vegan

When I started this post several weeks ago, I was going to try the traditional and vegan versions of Homemade Mayo. The Salad Dressing (like mayonnaise) that I have been using for I can't tell you how many years has changed their formula and now I absolutely HATE it! I am a sandwich freak so this is not a good thing and NO salad dressing, mayo, and mayonnaise are not the same thing and they are not created equally. 
I am no longer going to try the traditional version of this recipe. I am technically allergic to eggs but in certain situations, I can tolerate them. 
I tried Chosen Foods Mayo made with Avocado oil. The Mayo was organic, gluten free, soy free, cage free eggs, etc. Healthy. I barely took a taste and was sick for the entire day. When I do have a reaction to eggs it's violent. I had to take it back. I suppose the normal kind that I get is so processed, it's not enough pure eggs in it to make me sick. Who knows!
I will still do a clean revision and someone feel free to make it. It would be great for you to tell me how it turned out. I am going to stick to the vegan version and hope that it turns out great! In the meantime I have one last idea, I'm going to try the salad dressing/mayonnaise made with olive oil. My sister said it wasn't bad so we'll see! 
I'm going to attempt to do an update on this situation.    

044

Best Homemade Mayo
Makes a little over 2 cups

ingredients

    • 2 whole pastured eggs
    • 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
    • 3/4 tsp. salt (kosher)
    • 2 tsp. prepared mustard
    • 2 cups light olive oil (not a vegetable blend)
    Instructions
  1. Blend eggs, vinegar, salt, and mustard in food processor. While the machine is running, slowly add oil, VERY SLOWLY!! Continue until all of the oil has been added and the eggs and oil have formed an emulsion or Mayonnaise. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
  1. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from Satisfying Eats Cookbook



Homemade Vegan Mayo
Makes 1 1/2 cups
  • 1/2 cup soy milk (unsweetened cashew or almond milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (kosher) 
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard (I don't have ground mustard so I would use prepared)
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (Bragg's)
  • 2 teaspoons agave (organic)
  • 1 cup organic canola oil (I would use olive oil, avocado or sunflower oil)
Directions:
Place soy milk, sea salt, ground mustard, garlic powder, vinegar and agave in a blender. Place the lid on the blender and turn to slow.
Take the middle part of the blender’s lid out while the blender is still running and slowly pour in the canola oil.
Place the lid back on and blend until the mayo is thick and creamy.
Notes:
  • This recipe is awesome as is or you can use it as a base and add whatever flavor you like. More garlic (maybe minced and sautéed in a little canola oil before you add it), sriracha, wasabi, chives, dill, sun-dried tomato, let your imagine run wild and have fun.
  • I suggest using organic canola oil because any canola that isn’t organic has likely been Genetically Modified.
  • You can double this recipe for a bigger batch if need be.
Recipe Borrowed From: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12119/a-homemade-vegan-mayo-recipe-that-will-blow-your-mind.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick