Skip to main content

Johnny Mango's Shrimp Fried Rice with Fiery Lime Sauce


Johnny Mango - Shrimp Fried Rice:

Backstory: My friend introduced me to this AMAZING fried rice about 6yrs ago. She asked did I want "fried rice" (I'm thinking "traditional" fried rice) OH NO! I tasted this and my taste buds went crazy!!! I had her bring it as often as I could. Unfortunately I have never been to Johnny Mango (near Downtown Cleveland) myself. I have been craving this for about 6yrs and I am SOOOOO HAPPY that there is a recipe! I do still want to go to  
Johnny Mango World Cafe & Bar but until then I will try to recreate it myself.
If you ever visit Cleveland OH I suggest checking this out! 

INGREDIENTS

For the rice
  • 2 cups jasmine rice (I'd probably use white and brown)
  • 2 3/4 cups water (filtered clean water)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (Olive oil)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (kosher salt)
  • eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 6 ounces shrimp (large 31-40 count)
  • 1/3 cup scallions, sliced
  • 1 cup English cucumber, diced (organic)
  • 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced (organic)

For the wok oil
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I like sunflower oil)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil

For the stir sauce
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (raw sugar)

For the Fiery Lime Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed (I'd probably use lime juice in the bottle)

INSTRUCTIONS

Begin the rice
  1. Place the jasmine rice, water, vegetable oil, and salt in a medium pan over high heat. Bring to a boil.

  2. Once the water has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Continue to cook the rice until the liquid is gone and steam vent holes have formed at the surface of the rice.

  3. Once the rice is cooked, remove the rice from the pot and spread it over a large baking sheet to cool and prepare the wok oil.

For the wok oil
  1. Place the vegetable and sesame oils in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside and prepare the stir sauce.

For the stir sauce
  1. Place the fish sauce and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside and finish the rice.

Finish the rice
  1. Place a large skillet over high heat. Add the work oil and heat until just smoking.
  2. Add the beaten eggs to the oil, creating an egg "pool".

  3. Add the garlic on top of the eggs. This will prevent the garlic from burning. With a spoon, lift and stir the egg mixture to break up the eggs.
  4. Add the cooked rice and continue to stir-fry until the rice begins to take on a light brown color.
  5. Sprinkle the stir sauce onto the rice. Continue to lift and stir the rice with the spoon, being careful not to let it burn on the bottom of the pan.
  6. Add the shrimp. Continue to cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
  7. Just before serving, add the scallions to the rice and stir. Pull the pan off the heat and cover while you prepare the fiery lime sauce.

For the Fiery Lime Sauce
  1. Place the jalapeno, lime juice, and fish sauce in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Place the ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Continue onto plating the rice.

To plate
  1. Place the rice and shrimp on a large serving platter (or plate on regular dinner plates). Top with the diced cucumbers and tomatoes. Serve with the Fiery Lime Sauce on the side.

Recipe courtesy of Johnny Mango World Cafe & Bar in Cleveland, OH

3120 Bridge Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44113
(216) 575-1919

I AM NOT SPONSORED

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick