Skip to main content

GF DF Chicken Potpie

Borrowed from: http://www.freshlovedaily.com/

CHICKEN POT PIE: GLUTEN FREE + DAIRY FREE






These were meant to be mini but i think i'll make a large one, I do not have small ramikins
Prep Time: Crust-- 10 minutes + 60 minutes refrigeration; Pie-- 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Oven Temp: 400˚F

Product Love:
Earth Balance Mindful Mayo, soy free + vegan mayonnaise 

Ingredients: 
(makes 4 personal pies or 1 9-inch pie)

Crust—
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
(or make your own flour blend with 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 3 tbsp. potato starch, 1 tbsp. tapioca starch)
1/4 tsp salt (kosher salt)
1 1/2 tsp sugar (raw sugar)
6 tbsp dairy free butter, cubed and cold
2 tbsp ice water

Filling—
2 carrots, diced
4 celery heart ribs, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 medium cloves of garlic
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 frozen peas
1 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
dash of nutmeg
3/4 cup milk alternative 
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or 1/2 cup white wine)
1 tbsp butter alternative
2 1/2 tbsp gluten free flour
salt and pepper to taste

Egg Wash—
1/2 tbsp (vegan) mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp milk alternative or water, to thin the mayo

1. Make Your Crust
Put the flour, salt and sugar in to a food processor and pulse once to mix. Add butter, pulse until coarse. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse until your dough is slightly sticky. Form dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Tip: Cold, cubed butter makes the dough light and airy. We cube it and stick it in the freezer so that it's a chilly as possible. 

2. Sauté Your Veggies
Drizzle a little bit of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and combine carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Once they're soft, empty them into a large mixing bowl and set aside. 

3. Create Your Sauce
In the same saucepan, combine chicken stock, butter, sage, thyme and nutmeg. Bring to a light boil and add milk alternative, vinegar and flour. Whisk until smooth, and leave on the heat long enough to thicken (about five minutes). 

4. Combine Your Filling
Pour the sauce over the vegetables and add your chicken and peas. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Portion the mixture into your ramekins or your 9in. pan.

5. Add The Crust + Bake!
Roll out your crust and cut circles large enough to cover each ramekin. Press the crust into the sides of the ramekin to seal it. Brush the egg wash over the top of the crust; this will help it turn golden-brown when baked. Poke some air vents into the crust to allow ventilation, and pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streus...

Johnny Mango's Shrimp Fried Rice with Fiery Lime Sauce

Backstory: My friend introduced me to this AMAZING fried rice about 6yrs ago. She asked did I want "fried rice" (I'm thinking "traditional" fried rice) OH NO! I tasted this and my taste buds went crazy!!! I had her bring it as often as I could. Unfortunately I have never been to Johnny Mango (near Downtown Cleveland) myself. I have been craving this for about 6yrs and I am SOOOOO HAPPY that there is a recipe! I do still want to go to   Johnny Mango World Cafe & Bar but until then I will try to recreate it myself. If you ever visit Cleveland OH I suggest checking this out!  INGREDIENTS For the rice 2 cups  jasmine rice (I'd probably use white and brown) 2 3/4 cups  water (filtered clean water) 1 tablespoon  vegetable oil (Olive oil) 1 teaspoon  salt (kosher salt) 2  eggs, beaten 1 teaspoon garlic, minced 6 ounces  shrimp (large 31-40 count) 1/3 cup  scallions, sliced 1 cup  English cucumber, diced (organic) 1 ...

Authentic 1-Day Ethiopian Injera: Gluten-Free 100% Teff Flatbread

I really really hope that I can make this recipe work! I received some teff flour from the food pantry and I had NO idea what to do with it. I am so happy I found this recipe! Makes:  4-6 Injera Time:  1 day to ferment, about 30 minutes to cook Tools: Large glass bowl Cheesecloth, muslin or kitchen towel with a thin weave Parchment paper Ingredients: Try to buy everything organic.   Here’s why . 1 1/2 cups teff flour 2 cups pure water 1/2 tsp baking powder Coconut oil for pan 1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste Let’s get started. Place Teff flour in a large glass bowl, add water and stir well. Cover with a cheesecloth or towel and place on the counter and let it sit for 1 day/24hrs. Do not agitate or stir the batter, just leave it be. After 24 hours, you’ll see that your batter is alive and fermenting. Every batch I made looked a bit different, some were brain-like (below) and some were less puffy. Bring a pan to medium heat, and very lightly, coat ...