Skip to main content

Gluten Free Perogies

Gluten Free Perogies
This recipe makes 24 Gluten Free Perogies.

Perogies are on the top 10 list of things I miss/missed when I got sick and had to go allergy free. I am SO glad these recipes now exist!!!

Ingredients
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (LF, non dairy or my fav...0% Greek yogurt)
1 Cup Rice Flour (or any GF flour blend)
1/2 Cup CornStarch
2 Large White Potatoes
1/2 of a White Onion
2 Tbsp Butter (Smart Balance or any other non dairy or vegan "butter")
1/4 Cup Milk (non dairy or 0%/Fat Free LF milk) 
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese (LF or non dairy)
Salt and Pepper (kosher salt)
Directions  
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix sour cream, rice flour and cornstarch until a smooth dough forms.
2. Cover the dough and place in the fridge for 1/2 an hour.
3. Peel, cut and boil the potatoes. Then strain, mash and add milk and 1 Tbsp of butter.
4. Dice then fry onion in the remaining butter.
5. Add the cooked onions and cheese to the mashed potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a stiff spoon until the mixture is somewhat smooth. Set aside to cool.
6. Roll out 1/2 of the dough at a time onto a (rice) floured counter top, with a lightly (rice) floured rolling pin. Using a round cookie cutter or glass cup, cut out circles.
7. Place 1 Tsp of the potato mixture onto each of the dough circles. Fold the circle in half, then press the edges closed making sure to seal all sides.
8. Place the perogies onto a lined or lightly (rice) floured cookie sheet or plate. Cover and place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
9. Fill a large pot half full with water, bring to boil.
10. Add pierogies a few at a time and boil until they start to float off the bottom, about 3-5 minutes.
11. Carefully transfer to a frying pan and fry in butter or oil until browned. Flip them half way.
12. Serve with a side of sour cream.
Note. Perogies can be made ahead of time and frozen. Lay them out flat and uncooked before freezing. Drop the frozen perogies into boiling water the same way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick