Skip to main content

Trying Something New... Homemade Laundry Detergent

Homemade Laundry Detergent
Ok SO... let me tell you how I got to this point. I mentioned the Molly's Suds Laundry detergent I used the other day, today I used or am using the dryer balls.
I was curious so I went to the website just to look around, doing some pricing... I read the ingredients on the package and figured I can do this as well. (Sidenote, my mom has been making her own detergent for little over a year now and yes she did suggest that I do the same but at the time it seemed like a bit much... I wasn't ready. Ok now I'm ready) Of course I Googled DIY Laundry Detergent  and this particular entry caught my eye. My mom said this recipe is very similar to the one she uses. I hope to no one's surprise I am going to switch a few things around just a bit. As I stated in an earlier blog post (The Disclaimer) you are free to follow the recipe as is. I am all about environment, recycling, saving the earth and definitely saving money! Unfortunately it does not grow on trees in real life! I am willing to give this a try with ingredients I recognize and can pronounce. If this recipe lasted as long as it did for this blogger and I believe she said she washes clothes for 6 people, this should last The Lil Chef and I until she goes to college! lol
I will buy the ingredients a little at time again money isn't grown on trees. By the time I'm halfway through my Molly's Suds Detergent I should be ready to make this. Not only is this up my alley as far as being environmentally sound, it gives The Lil Chef and I an opportunity to have some DIY bonding time (not that she isn't all over me all the time anyway lol). No, but seriously we plan to jump more into the DIY thing more like making our clothes, upcycling, gardening, so on and so forth, and now making laundry detergent.   I hope this post can be beneficial to you and your family as well.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe - Spend $20 for a quick recipe that you just mix up and it lasts a whole YEAR

She stated this was 18lbs.!
Author: 
Ingredients
  • 1 Box of Super Washing Soda 3 lb. 7 oz.
  • 1 Box of Borax 4 lbs 12 oz. size
  • 1 Box of Pure Baking Soda 4 lb.
  • 3 bars of Fels-Naptha 5.5 oz. or you could also use Ivory or Zote soap (I plan to use the bar soap that I have left over that we didn't use before. The recipe my mom uses says that you can use your favorite bar soap.)
  • 1 container of Oxy-Clean 1.3 lb ($3.86)
  • *optional: Purex Crystals 28 oz. for scent (or you could use Downy un-stoppables) (I personally am going to omit this, only because I feel it's not safe enough for the earth. My sister swears by these, so be my guest lol)
Instructions
  1. Finely grate the Fels-Naptha. Mix all the ingredients together and store in container of your choice. Use only 1-2 Tablespoons of detergent per load.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick