Skip to main content

Fried Soft Shell Crabs

I absolutely positively loooooooove soft shell crabs but I haven't had any in yeeeeeaaarrrsss! Now that I found a recipe for them hopefully I'll be able to enjoy them again.

Cooking Louisiana - Fried Soft Shell Crabs
Fried Soft Shell Crabs is a great Cajun Cooking Recipe and most often considered a delicacy
in Louisiana Cooking.

Soft Shell Crabs

Clean the crabs as shown Here and rinse them off. Begin by preparing your mixes.

Wet mix
2 eggs
1 cup of milk (0% lactose free or non dairy)
1/2 cup Italian Dressing (click on "Italian Dressing" to refer to the homemade italian dressing recipe)
1 tbs. Creole Seasoning (your choice) (GF)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Put crabs in liquid mix. Mix it all up and marinate it for 30 or more minutes in the ice box.

Dry Mix
2 cups plain flour. (any GF flour mix, I prefer Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Flour mix)
3/4 cup cornstarch (makes it stick better)
2 Tbs. Creole Seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt (kosher salt)
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp lemon and pepper seasoning

Cooking:
Dredge the crabs in the dry mix and let sit a minute or so moving them around just a little.
Use peanut oil, about 1 1/2" in the pan depending upon the pan depth. Heat to 375ºF
(hot oil will burn you badly, be careful). Place the crabs in the oil leaving a 1" space
between them, in other words don't try to fry too many at a time. Overloading the pan will
cool the cooking oil too much and you'll get soggy crabs.  Stir them around every 10 seconds
or so.

Timing:
Cook them about 3 minutes flipping a few times. Watch the bubbling to judge the doneness.
Let them fry until they bubble lightly. If they quit bubbling completely they're overcooked.
With practice you can get each piece done perfectly. You cannot tell how done the crabs are
by the outer color, it's all in the bubbles! Remove the crabs and place on paper towels.
Move them around so the grease is soaked up.  Transfer them to another pan with more paper towels
and cover with paper towels.

Let the oil come back to 365ºF for the next batch!

Note: Remember, the oil cools as you cook.  If you don't have a frying thermometer get one, guessing just
won't get it! If the oil gets too hot turn the fire off and let it cool to the right temperature. If the oil smokes
you've probably ruined it. A thermometer prevents all of this trouble.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Taco Sauce

This is nice and uncomplicated! You know the only thing I'd change is the salt and make it kosher, other than that this recipe is clean. I haven't made it yet but I will the next time I need taco sauce! Homemade things are better!

Homemade Seasonings

I found this on Pinterest. Several things I do miss about being allergy free. So happy they can be duplicated at home Make sure the minced onions are JUST onions. I personally would use kosher salt. Use raw sugar. Instead of sour cream use 0% greek yogurt. 

Hough Bakery - butter cookies

Hough Bakery By  Gail Greenberg   &   Diane Rolfe Hough Bakery was an integral  part of me and my family's lives, (most people in Cleveland for that matter) I was heartbroken when they closed. I have  always remembered the cookies and doughnuts from this magical bakery. Their products were like nothing I had ever had before (and it was extra  magical because I was so little/young) I have been searching for about 30 years for something similar - no luck... but, thank goodness there are a few recipes floating around the internet! Unfortunately  even with Archie's being open, my food afflictions will not allow  me to enjoy those old time favorites. Luckily, converting is what I do and that's what this site is about so I  will switch some things  around and see how it turns out! The recipe below is just ONE of my all time favorites, please enjoy! Memories of a signature blue-and-white, string-tied cake box filled with a streusel coffee cake, hot cross buns, stick