1 medium size tomato – de-skinned and chopped
Few sprigs of fresh thyme, or a sprinkle of dried thyme
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons shrimp stock (GF)
1 teaspoon tomato puree
Cooking oil (olive oil)
Basmati rice – washed
- Sauté the onions until soften for about 2 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomato and the fresh thyme. Stir until tomato softens.
- Then add the tomato puree, chilli powder and shrimp stock. Stir for a few seconds and then add the washed rice. Coat the rice in the gravy for a few seconds.
- Then add water. Taste the seasoning, add salt if you think necessary. Reduce the heat to low and let the rice cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and stir gently into the rice. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- I like the vegetable to be crunchy when I serve it. If you like the vegetable to be soft and cooked, you can add the vegetable at step 3, just after the rice.
Recipe borrowed from: http://www.myrecipepages.com/2011/01/25/rice/jollof-rice/